Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss)

3 posters

Go down

Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss) Empty Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss)

Post by ChiefOfGxBxL Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Ok, now the Death Penalty system is going to be a big issue, especially when the Multiplayer comes out...but we still need to vote and plan. Please post what you think should happen, under what circumstances, if there are chances, etc. Just some notes while you post your ideas...

1) This is in the perspective of if the game were Multiplayer, although it is not...

2) Limit to 1-2 posts please, if you want the post to be noticed, first this is on my watchlist, and second, use 'Edit' to your post, say what you have to edit, and then label your edit 'EDIT - (date edited)' to whatever paragraph you added so we all notice what is new and old.

3) Do not use l33t speak or anything under those lines, let's not get off topic on this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I think.

There are going to be classes. These include Fighter, Ranger, and Mage. When you are not classed (because you have to do a quest to become the corresponding class) you are classed as 'Beginner' or what ever it is needed to be. I believe if you die as a 'Beginner' you respawn in the home town without penalty. If you ARE classed, you will lose a certain % of exp, maybe 2-5%, and some money. There could also be your characters 'Reputation Points' which could allow you to do some things. For example: You do a quest for an old lady and gain 2 Reputation Points! You kill an innocent new player under the class of Beginner, you lose 4 Reputation Points! These could be used for all sorts of things, such as if you're allowed to start a quest (it wouldn't matter if you lose the Rep. Points during the quest), doing jobs, looking good & showing off to other players...etc. If you died under a class other than 'Beginner' you would lose some reputation points, depending on how you died, where you died, your current Rep. Points, and other factors.

That's pretty much it for now, I will edit later...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT - 10/8/08, 8:20PM GMT-5: Good idea Grimm, I totally forgot about abusing the low money loss of being a 'Beginner'. That would definately be taken under consideration of a system that would not allow abusing like that. I also do agree now, that exp loss would not be needed. Although with yours, I don't think it would be cut back one, such as lvl 99-100 down to lvl 50- because of being an 'Abusing Beginner'. I believe it should be a little more like 20%, instead of 25% or 15%. Also, we would still need to watch out for high-level 'Beginners' and see if they are abusing and penalize them.

EDIT - 10/9/08, 9:28AM GMT-5: Yea, I can only name one game where you lose exp when you die, and of course I hated that because if I were to train, and got so much exp, and then died once, it would lose all the kills I just got...but good thing that game was horrible anyway, so I don't play that! I only played it for about 1 day...so money loss it is.

Last edited by ChiefOfGxBxL on Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:30 am; edited 3 times in total
ChiefOfGxBxL
ChiefOfGxBxL
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Badge : Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss) Modshieldsmallth4
Comment : Artist and tester for Xeronar, also moderate the forums.
Mood : Waiting...for CS4. Happy though.
Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss) Empty Re: Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss)

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:19 pm

wow chief... once again ur random thoughts correspond roughly to mine... for a while now i have been playing with the idea of 'alignment' for your character, and an evil deed minuses alignment, whereas a good deed adds to it (which is basically the same as rep. but having negative alignment could also be of benefit, rather than negative rep. hindering you)

as for the penalties... i think unspec'ed beginners shouldnt lose any or only a small amount of money (as you said) and people with proper spec'ed out classes would lose more, however i dont think that loss of EXP is a good idea, since it doesnt really make sense and wouldnt be viable if put down with too much abuse about how people's players lost levels after dying

death should cause the following penalties i think:

beginner = 1% money
class of level 10 or below = 5% money
class of level 25 or below = 10% money
class of level 50 or below = 15% money
class of level 99-100 or below = 25% money

however, if you deliberately cut your losses by not classing, just go back to the previous one, so an unclassed lvl 99-100 minus would be 15% loss, and a lvl 50 minus would be 10% loss, etc.
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 180
Badge : Death Penalties (Vote and Discuss) Adminshieldsmallac6
Registration date : 2008-01-20

http://www.xeronar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Benguy1 Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:20 am

Grimm 88 - Creator wrote:wow chief... once again ur random thoughts correspond roughly to mine... for a while now i have been playing with the idea of 'alignment' for your character, and an evil deed minuses alignment, whereas a good deed adds to it (which is basically the same as rep. but having negative alignment could also be of benefit, rather than negative rep. hindering you)

as for the penalties... i think unspec'ed beginners shouldnt lose any or only a small amount of money (as you said) and people with proper spec'ed out classes would lose more, however i dont think that loss of EXP is a good idea, since it doesnt really make sense and wouldnt be viable if put down with too much abuse about how people's players lost levels after dying

death should cause the following penalties i think:

beginner = 1% money
class of level 10 or below = 5% money
class of level 25 or below = 10% money
class of level 50 or below = 15% money
class of level 99-100 or below = 25% money

however, if you deliberately cut your losses by not classing, just go back to the previous one, so an unclassed lvl 99-100 minus would be 15% loss, and a lvl 50 minus would be 10% loss, etc.

i totally agree with no exp loss trust me thats the worst possible thing to have in a game can you list 3 games with more than a million players where you lose exp when you die?

i could name 10 with over 1 million players without losing exp when you die IMO it really breaks the game and my opinion is 1337n355
also tbh maybe you are putting the death penalty costs a bit high 25% cash????? i mean no way guys you could die and easily lose 25 gold i think max for 100 or below should be 10%
Benguy1
Benguy1
Regular
Regular

Number of posts : 128
Comment : game tester and ideas department for Xeronar
Mood : Annoyed (school started again)

http://www.omg.you.are.so.lame.youarelame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:38 am

well the values could be altered later to better fit, and it will most likely be that if ur a class, its full amount and if ur beginner it is rull amount minus a number

anyway, there would be advantages of being a class aswell, so it would kinda deter from not classing just for the bonus to the amouint u keep when u die
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Benguy1 Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:26 pm

imo no deaath penalty or extremely little i know you guys have different opinions to me but trust me i lost my life to video games i know what works and what doesnt anymore than 5% cash loss is too much and will piss people off if they make a silly mistake and die like i sometimes do on my games
Benguy1
Benguy1
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm

yeah, but if you can bank some of ur money then a 10% loss is suddenly nothing if you are only carrying 1/100 of ur total cash
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiefOfGxBxL Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:38 am

Oh yea! I forgot about banking! Yea, some people can die in silly situations and get angry at their 5% money loss, but it happens. But if you bank all your money before going out in dangerous areas then nothing will happen other then getting teleported back. If you die, you most likely wouldn't be carrying all your savings that took you 2 weeks of constant fighting to get.
ChiefOfGxBxL
ChiefOfGxBxL
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:16 am

EXACTLY... only a stupid player would venture out to a dangerous area knowing that there was a possibility of dying, and still keep all their money on them... and if they do then its their own fault!
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Benguy1 Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:46 am

well what if you ventured into an easy area where the monsters got nerfed without you knowing and you died? you wouldnt have banked all your money
Benguy1
Benguy1
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:40 am

if its an easy area... and the monsters get nerfed (made easier!) then why the hell would you die?!?!?!
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by ChiefOfGxBxL Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Omg! The point is, dont go outside with a lot of money. If someone dies with their money outside, it is their fault and hopefully they won't do it again. It doesn't matter if the monsters were easy yet suddenly killed the person. People should probably be a little more than level 1 to die outside before going outside...they would probably to quests to level up before going outside.
ChiefOfGxBxL
ChiefOfGxBxL
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimm 88 - Creator Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:09 pm

yeah, and anyone who is stupid enough to go outside with enough money to cause a significant loss is kinda stupid anyway, and probrably deserves it... at least they will learn their lesson for next time

aswell... the first few quests are geared towards actually levveling you up to begin with, to help give new players a little jump start... they should hopefully get you from anywhere between lvl 3 and lvl 8
Grimm 88 - Creator
Grimm 88 - Creator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down